<INTERFACE 2037 READY FOR INQUIRY>
Listen up, female fans of ALIEN (1979)! The Nostromo Files website is seeking original writing from you!
I thought that a writing contest might be an interesting diversion while we all wait for the dust to settle with regard to the future of the franchise.
Instead of looking forward to the new characters, though, it would be interesting to shed some light on some old friends. The subject for this series is the female members of the Nostromo crew:
The perspectives of each of these three, to the events in the movie, was varied and dictated by their unique personalities. In a similar way, the perspectives of female fans of Alien are also unique… and worthy of collecting for a writing contest!
- Authors must be female.
- Write up to 1,000 words of original material.
- There is no requirement that these be written in American English; however, I will require a translation for posting with the native-language original.
- Write an essay, poem, or short story. Any writing format is welcome, as long as you created it!
- Some things to kickstart your imagination:
- What was your first impression of the character you chose?
- What did the character bring to the story, for you?
- What appeals to you most about the character?
- Explore the childhood, youth, or young adulthood of Ripley and Lambert!
- Discover the origins of the mysterious motherly MU-TH-UR computer!
- Combine these ideas or create your own.
- Create a backstory for one or more of the characters. (Or take on all three!)
- Suggested reference material, for inspiration:
- Watch ALIEN, the theatrical release or the Director’s Cut…or both!
- The Nostromo crew biographies and Aliens personnel dossiers:
- Alan Dean Foster’s ALIEN novelization
- The Alien Script – Draft by Walter Hill and David Giler (from AvPGalaxy.net).
- The Alien Script – Revised final draft, October 4th 1978 (from AvPGalaxy.net).
- Please limit the scope of the writing to the depiction of the characters in ALIEN, but feel free to use the dossiers from Aliens and Lee’s A:CMTM file on Mother.
Stretch your imagination! Please choose the style that is most comfortable for you and allows you to tell your story with ease. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me through INTERFACE 2037 for clarification.
All entries will be published on The Nostromo Files website April 26, 2019, part of its observance of ALIEN Day. Readers will have the chance to vote on their favorites. From these results, I will award prizes for 1st Place and Runner Up.
Material submitted for this contest may also be considered for inclusion in future content for the Overmonitoring Address Matrix.
- Send your writing and any accompanying images or artwork to me at: email@example.com
- Type: Space-Trucking Women in the Subject line.
- Include a brief bio to introduce yourself, your interest in Alien (1979), how you currently engage with Alien fandom, and why you chose your particular subject.
- If you decide to include graphics, include specific instructions for how you would like them presented in the material when published.
Deadline is October 11, 2018.
Please share this news with anyone you think might be interested in contributing to this exciting glimpse into the lives of some of our favorite characters from the film!
Special thanks to AvPGalaxy.net for their scripts library!
<INTERFACE 2037 DISCONNECT>